Latinx Outreach Librarian
Position Title: Latinx Outreach Librarian
Department: Public Services
Reporting Relations: Public Services Manager
Pay Level: 24
Starting Wage: $20.90 – 25.60
Job Status: FLSA: Non-Exempt
Job Hours: Full-Time, 40 hours per week
Job Posting Open Date: June 4, 2021
Job Posting Closing Date: July 5, 2021
Location: Wilkinson Public Library is located at 100 W. Pacific Avenue, Telluride, Colorado 81435
- Complete WPL online job application at https://telluridelibrary.org/employment/.
- Include resume and cover letter. Upload file link included on online job application.
Wilkinson Public Library (WPL) is committed to building and sustaining an inclusive and equitable working and learning environment for all staff. WPL is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, pregnancy, national origin, age, disability, military status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran status, genetic information, marital status, or any other characteristic or status protected by law. In addition, WPL will not make hiring decisions based upon a person’s political affiliation, socioeconomic status, or familial status.
Wilkinson Public Library offers a generous benefit package depending on employment status:
Regularly Scheduled Full-Time Status
Benefits include cafeteria health, dental, vision insurance, group life/accidental death and dismemberment (AD&D) insurance, group long term disability insurance, health reimbursement arrangement (HRA), health care and dependent care flexible spending accounts, Colorado Public Employees Retirement Association (PERA) retirement contributions, PERAPlus 401(k), vacation pay, sick leave pay, paid personal days, holiday pay, paid parental leave, bereavement leave, employee assistance program.
As a member of the Public Services Team, makes a concerted effort to reach out to San Miguel County’s Latinx community to provide Spanish-language programming and services. Curates the Adult Spanish collection at the library. Provides professional reference, readers’ advisory, and technology assistance and instruction for the community. Engages with the community to provide courses and one-on-one assistance in both English and Spanish. Contributes to the Library’s website and technology initiatives. Develops promotional materials and uses social media and other outlets to promote library services and programs. Performs special projects as assigned.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Performs public service desk duties including reference, circulation, and readers’ advisory to provide quality public library service in accordance with the Library’s mission, goals, objectives and service standards.
- Informs Technical Services Librarian in collection development to ensure comprehensive collection development responsive to public needs and interests, including selection/de-selection, weeding, gifts and exchange, disposal, public input and information on selection and on order information of Spanish-language materials for adults.
- Researches, develops and delivers instruction in both English and Spanish for adult community and library staff in information literacy, technology and other topics based on needs and requests.
- Schedule may include evenings and weekends.
- Develops marketing materials; promotional materials for Library services, programs and resources.
- Outreach: attends community events, meetings, is involved with the Latino Advocacy Committee and collaborates with other community-based organizations.
- Supports library co-workers and patrons, while welcoming Spanish speakers to the Library and its services.
- Other duties as assigned.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES
- Optimistic attitude and ability to effectively apply the principles and practices of excellent customer service to library patrons of all ages and backgrounds.
- Great outreach skills; skilled in effectively engaging with diverse populations.
- Ability to work well independently (self-starter/time management skills) and as part of a team (flexibility and cooperation skills).
- Tech savvy to assist patrons with word processing, spreadsheets, social media, digital resources, eBooks and e-mail on both Windows and Macintosh operating systems; eagerness to learn new technologies.
- Strong passion for libraries and the desire to keep current with library issues and trends.
PHYSICAL & MENTAL REQUIREMENTS
- Light lifting and carrying (under 25 lbs.), walking, standing, kneeling, bending and stooping are performed frequently.
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE
Education: High School Diploma required; Bachelor’s Degree Preferred; MLS Preferred; or a combination of related experience.
Experience: Minimum two (2) years previous experience in a library or customer service position.
Working knowledge of: Strong computer skills including knowledge of Microsoft Windows and Macintosh Operating Systems. Strong working knowledge of social media platforms and digital resources.
Preferred: Proficiency in Spanish and English.
The statements herein are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by employees, and are not to be construed as a complete list of responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel so classified. Furthermore, they do not establish a contract for employment and are subject to change at the discretion of the Library District.